Slovenia, this small spot on the map and one of the most interesting tourist destinations in Europe is known for its captivating landscapes, mild climate, and great hospitality. An earthly paradise with a small, but beautiful coastline, clean air, and picturesque views around the turquoise-green rivers. With crystal lakes and snow-capped peaks in the winter, Slovenia enriches its natural treasures with charming rustic culture and delicious cuisine.
Why travel to Slovenia?
What you need to know when traveling to Slovenia
Slovenia, the little unknown, is a picture of medieval cities, charming towns, green landscapes and lots of biodiversities. In fact, almost 60% of the Slovenian area is covered with forests. On a trip to Slovenia, you can also immerse yourself in appetizing gastronomy and wine culture, or even relax in coastal cities if you are looking for sun and sea. It is also the perfect country for those who are looking for an active holiday where they can practice sports in the middle of nature. Start discovering Slovenia!
Best time to travel to Slovenia
You can travel to Slovenia throughout the year and it will obviously depend on the activities or itineraries that you plan to do. However, in general, the best time to travel to Slovenia is in spring, when the temperatures are more pleasant and the natural landscapes show all their splendor. Check our website to know in more detail when traveling to Slovenia.
What to see and what to do in Slovenia?
Places to visit
The biggest attraction of Slovenia is its splendid nature. The country also has cosmopolitan and coastal cities, with a lot of beauty to offer, but the greatest charm is found along its caves, lakes, waterfalls, mountains, and countless privileged places to discover. These are some places to see in Slovenia :
- Triglav National Park: a true gift of nature. It is one of the oldest national parks in Europe and the only one in the country and is full of routes with rivers, lakes, meadows. Due to its extension and great diversity, you can combine different outdoor activities.
- Ljubljana: the capital and one of the greenest and most charming cities in Europe. Its mixture of baroque and modernist style will captivate you, as well as the rest of the city’s monuments such as the castle or the quays by the river. Walk through its alleys and discover the Plaza and the Church of the Annunciation, cross the Dragons’ Bridge and visit the Central Market by the river.
- Soca Valley: the turquoise blue and emerald green river flows through the Julian Alps and is of absolute beauty. Take the opportunity to do water sports activities such as rafting, discover the past history in World War I in these valleys and visit the many small towns along the way, such as Šmartno or Nova Gorica.
- Piran: small coastal town next to the Adriatic Sea. Its old town is a jewel of Venetian Gothic architecture. The mixture of the red of the roofs, with the blue of the sea and the relaxed atmosphere, will transmit sensations of calm.
What to do while in Slovenia?
- Discover the magic and beauty of the Slovenian lakes , especially Bohinj, the largest in the country, and Bled, surrounded by mountains, with an island and a church in it in the middle of the water.
- Hiking trails through the many natural landscapes of the country, such as the Pokljuka forest, Mount Mangart, and trails in the Julian Alps.
- Explore the caves of Skocjan and observe the beauty of the subterranean caves, with its calcareous formations, stalactites, and stalagmites, sail through its waters and admire the Predjama Castle nestled in the mountains.
- Visit one of the Slovenian towns such as Skofja Loka, one of the oldest in the country, which still retains its essence in the squares and alleys.
- Wine tourism in one of the wine regions such as Podravje, Posavje or Primorska, each with its flavors, traditions and ancient wineries. You can join it to routes to taste the cuisine of the country.
- Traveling to Slovenia with children is a great idea if you are thinking of a next destination that offers varied activities, beautiful landscapes and not far from home.
- Rent a car and travel Slovenia at your leisure to enjoy all the lost towns in the mountains, the coast and the best landscapes driving on dream roads.