Instagram is a photo and video sharing platform which quickly became one of the most popular social networks.
We will explain how Instagram works and what are the first important steps you need to know about the Instagram app.
Additionally, we’ll demonstrate how to use it.
What do you need to know about Instagram?
Here are some brief facts you need to know about Instagram and Instagram app
- Instagram is a photo and a video sharing social network. Using the Android and iOS app, you can take pictures and videos from your smartphone, edit them with filters, and then upload them to the network to share with your friends.
- The network relies almost exclusively on the apps for the smartphone. Access from a conventional browser on the home PC is possible but with some limited functions.
- In Windows 10 operating system, however, Instagram can also be downloaded as an app, where it can use almost all the features of the mobile app.
- The Social Media App Instagram was created in 2010. The online social service grew rapidly and was bought by Facebook in early 2012.
- Unlike Pinterest where the content is usually curated and shared by the users, on Instagram the users are those who create the content, which is one of the differences between Instagram and Pinterest.
- Instagram users are now over 300 million.
Are you wondering why this social media channel became one of the world’s favorite online social networks?
When it was first introduced the app gained quick popularity, because of two reasons. Instagram was and it is easy to use. The second reason is all the innovations which the app pioneered with at that time.
See what functions and features Instagram has.
The Instagram developers regularly release new features for the app. Here are some of the highlights of Instagram’s main features.
Presently these are the most interesting functions of Instagram :
- Voice Messages in the Direct Messages: As has long been possible with Whatsapp, voice messages can now be sent on Instagram in the Direct Messages. To do this, press and hold the microphone icon for the entire length of the message.
- Sharing stories with close friends: The “tight friends list” has been around for a while on Instagram. What is new is that you can now share certain stories only with the friends on this list. Whether you see a story that has only been approved for a “tight friends list” is indicated by a green sign or green ring around the person’s profile picture.
- Share Netflix series in Stories: Anyone who uses Netflix via the iOs app can now share series and movies directly in the Insta story. So you can give your friends tips for good series and movies. If the person who sees the story also installs the Netflix app, they can go directly to the series or movie using the “Watch” button.
- Shopping cart: The shopping function on Instagram has been around for a good year now. New is, however, the personnel basket on Instagram, in which one can “collect” products from shopping contributions directly within the app.
- Nametags: Friends can now be easily added via nametags. The tags are easily scanned, making it easier to find and add accounts.
- GIFs in Direct Messages: Another feature that has been around for a long time in other messenger apps are sending GIFs in direct messages. To do this, tap the GIF button in a direct message and look for the GIF you want in the GIPHY database to send it.
- Shopping in the Stories: Lately, there is also the possibility to incorporate shopping options into the stories. This was previously only possible in the feed.
More Instagram Features
Apart from the above Instagram features, there are some more:
- Music in Instagram Stories: In the Instagram stories, there is now a music sticker, with which you can give his story background music or a soundtrack. The story will then display the title of the song and the name of the artist.
- IGTV previews in the feed: To get the first impression of a video without switching to IGTV (Instagram TV), a preview of the IGTV videos will now be displayed in the feed.
- ” Focus Filter “: When you take a picture and select the “Focus” filter, it automatically detects faces in the picture and focuses them. The background is blurred. This creates a depth of field effect.
- “Last online” function: The direct messages now show when the caller was last online. This feature is automatically enabled; if you want to turn it off, you must disable the “Show Activity Status” button.
How to use Instagram?
Now I will demonstrate to you how to create an account and start using the Instagram app.
Create Instagram account
Here is how to create new Instagram account:
- First, you need to download the Instagram App for Android, iOS or Windows.
- Alternatively, you can register via your browser, without using iOS or Android apps.
- After downloading you have to create a profile – optionally with a profile photo and some information about you.
Start using the Instagram App
- The app is clearly arranged: in addition to the main photo function, you can view the photos of all subscribed contacts in the main, constant stream.
- Next step is to find friends or someone to follow. You can also search for some popular Instagram hashtags or words: This will give you regular updates on interesting curated topics such as “fashion”, “Chinese food”, “cars” or “Apple”. Below you can see some of the most popular tags on Instagram to start with.
- Upload your own photos and collect followers. Be creative. Use the easy-to-set filters for photos and videos. Among other things, you can also frame the picture and edit it in many other ways.
- You can also link the app to other social media channels, like Twitter or Facebook, and post your photos there directly from the Instagram app.
Popular Instagram hashtags
The hashtags serve for this – after you tag your photo or post with a # (hashtag), you’ll be able to tap the hashtag and to see a page that shows all videos and photos people have uploaded with the same hashtag. For example, if you tap #funny, then you will see all published things with the same #funny tag.
Here you can find some of the most popular Instagram hashtags:
Instagram business account
On Instagram, you can create also a business account.
This business account on Instagram or Instagram for Business is useful for people who would like to actively advertise on the popular social platform.
Those who would like to use Instagram for Business can use various tools. For instance, business users may create Ads and promote Instagram Post or Instagram Story.
Some interesting Statistics about Instagram
If you are curious to find a bit more about Instagram – here are some interesting figures:
- As per Hootsuite, 1 billion people use Instagram every month. This makes the social platform one of the most active around the globe;
- The platform is equally used by men and women and over 70% of Instagram users around the world are under the age of 35;
- Over one-third of Instagram users are from Generation Y (Millennials)
- About one-fifth of all Instagram users log in at least once a day
- Over 30 % of users check Instagram multiple times a day
- One-fourth of the smartphone owners use Instagram
So, now when you know pretty much everything about Instagram, see you there where is everyone else.